Sunday, October 28, 2007

Second year slump.

I tried to fight it. I said it wouldn't happen. But what do you know? This ambivalent feeling I've been having towards the PhD despite all the desire to get it over and done with has finally been diagnosed by other PhD students as Second Year Slump.

Second Year Slump basically arrives when First Year Excitement ends due to ENW-D (Experiments Not Working-Dammit) leading to disenchantment with the deal. I have been assured everything will be fine when Third Year Panic sets in and you realise you have only 12 months to bring out three papers.

The suggested treatment is to do easy experiments, relieve myself of Presidency as soon as possible, and for god's sake, just keep thinking of finishing so I can accept that position in Paris! (People apparently want somewhere to crash).

No comments: