Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Oh, the disappointment

Normally, I don't read fantasy themed books. Dislike David Eddings, found Lord of the Rings boring, unimpressed by ...(insert fantasy-themed book here). There is however, one exception to the rule. I absolutely Love Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy (image from here). They were so twisted - they had two of my favourite heroes in fiction-dom, Daemon Sadi and his father, Saetan (yes that Saetan) SaDiablo. And they rocked! On the negative is that while I think they rock, a lot of people I've recommended them to refuse to read them as somethings in them go a bit far beyond the pale. Let me just say sex and violence occur a lot and often together against many people of different backgrounds and ages.

Anyway, knowing how much I enjoyed these, someone recommend Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy series. While the premise was intriguing - an alternative mediaeval world where Terre d'Ange (France) worships Elua (essentially son of Jesus but hard to explain here). While I recognise it as quite good, the description of the world was especially nice, I dunno. I was disappointed. But I recommend them to everyone else anyway.

No comments: