Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Great European Trip 2007 Food Awards part 1

Unlike Spuey who came home looking like a brown skeleton, I've come home looking like a brown butterball. In fact, Lydia and I joked that our trip was more like a gastronomic tour. So here they are, the results of the Great European Trip 2007 Food Awards!

By City:
London
Best Restaurant - Le Gavroche
I have already written about how awesome my dinner at Le Gavroche was. I'm kinda curious as to why it was downgraded from three to two Michelin stars, but hey, I'm still happy with what I got. Even better is that we seemed able to get a reservation at relativel
y short notice (that morning). So although he's a skinny chef, Michel Roux runs a tight ship. So if you've got a spare £60+ burning a hole in your wallet, go get some!
Le Gavroche - 43 Upper Brook St. Mayfair. London, W1K 7QR.
http://www.le-gavroche.co.uk/main.html

Highlight Meal - Lunch at Borough Markets, with Honourable Mention to Smee's cooking.
Pooey and Spuey have been talking quite a bit about how they enjoyed lunch at Borough Market (although his favourite meal was some ribs place with cousins), an
d I've got to admit, I enjoyed it too. I probably could have had a lunch on free samples alone, but alas, at the first stall I enjoyed the gourmet sausage so much, I bought a bap that contained three different sausages. I also nearly bought a jar of truffle honey until it was pointed out that it would never get past Customs. Dammit.

Smee's malaysian food also gets an honourable mention for provid
ing good asian food in what is otherwise a veritable desert. He made Assam laksa, Curry laksa, and pipi noodles. Yum!

Paris
Best Restaurant - tie between Le Trumilou and Moroccan Restaurant
If you want traditional French cooking, go to Le Trumilou. It's decently priced (especially if you get the menu du jour), and it's where locals go. I didn't even find out if the people who worked there spoke English, although they probably do. I had the caviar d'av
ocat (a kind of avocado salad), the bunny fricassee, and cheese platter. I can't remember what else was on the menu, but I remember looking at the table of the people next to us and going *oh yum!*
Le Trumilou - 84 Quai de l'Hotel de Ville - 75004 Paris

The Moroccan restaurant, I can't remember the name and address but Lydia has it. I had a duck tagine which was awwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeesome!!!!!!!!!! So soft and tender and spicy yet sweet...I could do with some now. If there was a drawback to
the meal that makes it the standout, it was that tagine is to be eaten by itself, so I had to eat some of Lydia's couscous to get some fibre. I remember also enjoying their dessert and mint tea and their traditional cocktail which was pretty much a mojito. Le 404 - 69 rue des Gravilliers, 75003 Paris

Highlight Meal - Five Euro Lunch, with Honourable Mention to Boulevard St. Antoine.
I've already spokent about Five Euro Lunch. I still can't believe it's awesomeness. And as the exchange rate gets better, it gets even cheaper!!!
Five Euro Lunch was bought from a boulangerie near Pont de l'Alma, Paris. Believe me, I wish I took better notes of it's location.


Boulevard St. Antoine had a lot of little stores where you can buy a selection of breads, cakes, meats, pates, fruits, vegetables, you get the drift, all items of very high quality and providing you with a cheap meal. Maybe it's a French thing but there are plenty of streets like it around, this was just the closest one to us.

Boulevard St. Antoine is in the 4th arrondissement.

Venice
Best Restaurant - Vino Vino
The problem with Venice is that it's essentially a tourist city - the people who live there eat at home. Despite this, we had a pretty good meal at Vino Vi
no. It was so popular that there was a queue of people outside waiting to get in. I recommend the seafood risotto. The tiramisu is apparently quite good too (according to Lydia). The waiters were a bit effusive and insisted on kissing both of us on the cheeks before we left.
Vino Vino - Ponte delle Veste, 2007/A, 30124, Venezia

Highlight Meal - Spaghetti with Squid Ink
This is apparently a Venetian specialty. I don't know who came up with the idea, but its entertaining. I don't know if the ink had a flavour, the dish just tasted like butter to me.
Problem is, it tended to turn some things black. And not just my teeth.

Florence
Best Restaurant - Trattoria Mario, Honourable Mention Za-Za.
You can tell just by looking at Marios that the place is good. For one, it's crowded inside. Secondly, there's a huge crowd of people waiting outside to get in. And then the front window of Marios is filled with cut out reviews in at least four different languages. I don't doubt that they were all glowing. Mario's is only open for lunch.
Trattoria Mario - Via Rosina, 2/R - Firenze

Za-Za is around the corner from Mario's. It's pretty good and the menu is very extensive although we did find that there can be substantial difference in quality of the same dish between days. Lydia had a tomato soup one day that was fantastic. We went back the next day to get it again but it was a lot saltier and less tasty.
Za-Za - Piazza del Mercato Centrale, 26r - Firenze
http://www.trattoriazaza.it/

Highlight Meal - Bistecca alla Fiorentina from Mario's
Man, I just want a T-bone thinking of that steak!

Rome
Best Restaurant - Edy
Until we got to Edy, food in Rome had been a bit of a disappointment. Edy totally made up for it. We shared a chicken salad that had really good homemade mayo on it and and I had gnocchi which was just the way it should be - soft, chewy and smooth, and the strudel. I really hated watching the others in the restaurant eat cos they all looked and smelled so good. Down a side alley and near many popular sites, either get in early (like we did) or book.
Edy -
Vicolo del Babuino, 4, Roma

Highlight Meal - Gelati at some gelateria near the Trevi Fountain
I don't remember the place's name (St. Crispiano or something?) or the exact location (I think it's Via Pannetteria? Lydia knows it) but while the servings are small, the gelati is awesome. I had ginger and cinnamon and caramel and meringue. Awesome. And the server was from India and believe it or not, he gave me a discount for being an Aussie! And while I'm aware that some of you may not consider gelati a meal. Trust me, it is.

Coming soon - Individual prizes!

No comments: