Thursday, May 01, 2008

Fort Lauderdale impressions

Well I think I've experienced enough here for me to start writing this. This place (the conference and the city) can only be described as *weird*. And the funny thing is they seem to relish the weirdness. I think.

First about the conference. It is HUGE. Huge like it puts all the large conferences I've been to to shame. On the first day I came here, I believe I just walked around with huge eyes as I tried to digest the multitude of things assaulting my eyes and ears (la phantasmagorie) and then freaked when I realised how difficult it would be to make it to all the relevant things for both myself and my lab. That wore off pretty quickly when I realised the sheer size meant that half the stuff I hadn't heard of or flat out didn't understand. Everyone seems to be happy to chat or let me sit at their table or share a cab with me. Many Americans have said *oooh, I lurve y'are accent!* or complain when I don't sound *Aussie enough*. For those who get my emails, Hairy Vladimir from Russia said I didn't sound Australian at all until I said 'New York'. There is also an angry coffee woman, but since I don't drink coffee my contact with her is minimal.

The hotel I'm staying at is okay. My room is roomy and pleasant - we get cable - although I have seen a cockroach. I'm chalking it up to the environment rather than hygiene levels. The hotel has a bar/restaurant that claims to be *world famous* and judging by the academics who hang out there after a hard day's thinking...perhaps it is! The funny thing is, it seems as though a lot of locals hang out in this hotel - no doubt enjoying the mixed that is the best in the world. I have yet to verify this claim.

And now for the city. I have been to the beach and it was quite pleasant and it gives you a real snapshot of what it's like down here. All the men are shirtless and all the women (especially if theyre of a certain age) are brown. The men will hit on you. And it's not in the way that Italians will shout out a *ciao bella* as you walk past. They are insistent. They'll keep yelling *hai! how are you? Yes, you! You're beautiful!* until they get a reaction. Antonia was sitting on the beach minding her own business when a guy plopped down next to her and she said that within 5 mins, he asked her if she'd like to go on a date.

Food servings are HUGE. I ordered a small garden salad ($3.95 excl tax and tip) and it was like a European main! Another time I had a steamed shellfish dinner and it was topped off with a 1/4 of a crab with HUGE long legs that covered the large bowl. And a massive tub of melted butter. The only food servings that aren't huge are the ones at the conference. Much to my disgust, this conference is not catered so you have to buy your food. The stuff within the conference centre is pretty disgusting - I never thought I'd get sick of the smell of sugary cinnamon - and what it lacks for in size it makes up in fat content. If you want a healthy option...lets say I paid $US2 for a banana. It was a pretty awesome banana but it's not as if a cyclone went through and wiped out the crop. I also had a $US7 fruit cup. Ditto. There's a french bakery around the corner that has really good croissants and baguettes and it's making an absolute killing of quality starved scientists.

Also, I can't find a shopping centre anywhere. It's a good thing the 24 hour pharmacy sells food. Weird.

No comments: