Monday, May 05, 2008

New York thoughts so far...

Pretty much everyone assured me I would love New York. These include my former travelling companions (Hai Lydia!), my co-workers (Hai Veruscka, Lab gals!), various friends (Hai QQ, Dr. I-K, Grand Empress!), people I barely know (Hai Uncle Nory!), and my Pooey (Hai Pooey!). As such, even though I wasn't really looking forward to this trip, I was getting geared up to the NY leg. Part of the reason why I have taken so long to write this entry despite Uncle Nory giving me free access to his machine (which is in my room) is that I, quite frankly, wasn't feeling the love. Sacrilege, I know! But being the fair gal I am, I decided to hold off until I started to feel the love. The love is growing people because I felt it bloom today.

But this entry is not about the love, it's about the frustration about seeking love and not finding it.

For the last few weeks, NYC has been going through some unseasonally cold weather. This made my Friday pretty miserable because I had been instructed by Pooey not to bring a big coat because I was going to take her London stuff. Big mistake. It was FREEZING on Friday when I went to the Natural History Museum. Luckily Uncle Nory has one of those puffy Ralph Lauren jackets, which I borrowed. Then because I'm in Queens, I had to take a bus to the subway station...but the buses don't take notes. This is where I have to write a fawning tribute to Celeste, the lady on the bus. Celeste took pity on me and asked the bus if anyone had enough coins to give me so I could buy a ticket and everyone coughed up! She then instructed me on various hints to get around so I didn't have Pooey's problem or trubs with those not very intuitive maps. And to top it off, she gave me her phone number in case I got lost! I LOVE CELESTE! (Okay, so maybe there was first day love)

The Natural History Museum is the SHIZNIT!!! This is especially true if you have seen Night at the Museum. Even though there were screaming kids everywhere, I really enjoyed it because it provided succour for my nerdiness in a non-didactic, non-boring way. When you enter from Central Park West, you are greeted by dinosaurs! (I would recommend that you actually enter from Columbus Ave because there are less people.) However, my joy at the entire thing was diluted by two things - because I was travelling alone, there was no one to take stupid photos with. I really wanted to take a photo of me with the Easter Island head but didn't because I didnt want to reveal to the Dad with Kids how juvenile I was (the kids stood next to it nice and normally). Secondly...my camera battery died!!! And my spare was dead too!!! So all the photos I took were on my stupid camera phone which is terrible. *sniff*

The museum is across the road from Central Park but because the day was quite dreary, I couldn't dance around singing *That's how you know!* like I intended and went to Times Square instead. Here I was hoping to get my *wow! I'm in NY!* feeling...which didn't eventuate. I stood there looking at the coke sign for ages waiting for it and it didn't come. Boo.

The next day I went to Woodbury Common to look for some ankle boots. Every shoe store pretty much told me they were out of boots. I was getting soooooo frustrated that to cheer me up, I went to BCBG and loaded up on a coat, jumper and dress (I will detail this in my customary post-trip shopping entry) before taking a break for lunch. After lunch, I decided to hit the stores I usually wouldn't buy footwear from...and when I realised I was seriously considering buying a pair of Gucci ankle gumboots because it was the closest to what I was looking for($US400 - I will say without irony that that's really cheap!) , I actually felt myself getting angry at the injustice of it all. Since I know you can get cute accessories from Furla quite cheap, I went there to cool down. I only intended to get something to match my frog lanyard but a pair of plum shoes later (70% off!!!), I walked out much happier.

I decided to stop being so selfish and buy some pressies from the Disney store, but the day had gotten nicer which increased the population of the Common exponentially, which increased the number of screaming kids exponentially. I decided to call it a day and collected Uncle Nory to go back home.

Anyway, next entry will be about the love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you dally at Ferragamo? They have awesome stuff!