Monday, August 17, 2009

The Hike

I'm in C-town for a change of scenery, visit friends, see some of the tourist highlights of our nation's capital, and a less disruptive location to write the thesis. It has been going to plan for a bit with nothing particularly out of character. Until yesterday.

So people who read this blog regularly and know me (probably because the only people who read this blog regularly actually know me :P), will know that I'm a dress-loving, high heel stiletto wearing lab scientist who likes to hang out at the cinema/gallery/bar in my spare time and maybe some theatre/opera/ballet to mix it up a bit. Outdoor pursuits? Maybe if it's because I'm pounding the pavement from one European gallery to the other! I began to hear comments from various sources that H had the brilliant plan that to enjoy C-town, I should go on a walk through the bush that surrounds the (small) city. This was reinforced by him actually asking me to bring a pair of proper athletic shoes rather than only kitten heels. :O

As I said to The Pom one day on the way to the gym, I'm like a luxury Persian cat! I can survive outside but it's best for everyone that you leave me indoors. However, because we are gym partners and therefore have a more special relationship where we can abuse the other without getting mad, The Pom released a stream of vitriol aimed towards my unwillingness to go outside my comfort zone and hit me with bullets of derision that would have felled a lesser person. Not I. Instead I was fuelled with the desire to prove wrong everyone who laughed at the thought of me doing some bush bashing. That and the realisation that H did go to the gallery with me and it would be only right that I do something he liked.

And so I went on a 6.5km hike that included some pretty steep climbs to a final 750m elevation. H was willing to do something shorter and easier due to my novice position but no, there had to be a challenge other than distance. And sunshine. Here are some pics

The view from halfway to the top.
(Stupidly, I appear to have not taken any photos from the top?!?)


H enjoys the view.

Other happy hikers.

Yes we saw some wallabies, especially for the Orangehoodies

The hike was supposed to go for 2 hours. Not a problem in my eyes because I saw that we had a nice track that many other ppl had clearly been on before. This was confirmed by our meeting some ppl on the way and at the summit. Even the steep parts weren't an issue due in my eyes, bless gym. But eventually we hit a bitumen road and H said the words "I don't feel like walking along a road, lets cut through the park to the path further down the hill."

As much as I wanted to say *hell no, lets follow the path the guidebook suggested*, I deferred judgement and that was how I ended up clinging to his back as we descended along what was essentially a game trail. It was steep - I figured if I fell, I could ride his corpse to the bottom. Two barb-wire topped fences later, one that was crawled under, the other which was gingerly climbed over, we made it back the original red clay path we set off on.

At the end of the hike, H said, "I don't think I realised how much of a princess you are until I saw that look of horror when we decided to go off-road." To that I say........................................................................well I have nothing to say to that because it's true! But this is a princess can be both the Palace flower and the warrior, just like Mulan!

(Video suggested by VB and CB)

A better view of Parliament House from Mt. Ainslie (which I didn't climb).

6 comments:

SuBoo said...

Seriously - it is not Princess like behaviour to not be particularly excited about a hike!! I know because I am no princess *cough* *cough*

I now know that if I ever want to get you do something you don't want to do, I just need to tell you you can't do it coz you are weak. I am sure after you punch my lights out you will prove me wrong hehehe

Pooey said...

6.5km hike in the bush? Piece of piss! Just as long as there is mobile phone reception to call 000, it'll be fine.

J said...

Oh wow.. the price of love...

Vanilla Bear said...

You are totally Mulan! Well done for doing it Callie, I am proud :)

Sarah said...

sounds fun! especially the barbed wire part.

Bea said...

Please! You're not a princess, you're just cautious. The news is filled with stories of stupid hikers who don't follow the clearly marked arrows, then get mauled to death by dingoes. Then we tax payers have to waste ridiculous amounts of money to uncover the corpses.

I think you were very right be horrified.