Sunday, December 13, 2009

Opera binge

So in the last fortnight I went and saw three different productions! It was bloody exhausting but also somewhat enlightening due to the differences.

First opera was Cosi Fan Tutte. My expectations were superduper LOW given the last butchering of Mozart that I was privvy to, and my catching snippets of the first scene on ABC2. The modern updating I could handle (although they might want to ask their leads to tone up if they're going to walk around in open shirts) but horror of horrors - it was being sung in ENGLISH. :O:O:O:O But you know what? I found myself quite enjoying it while I was watching. Sure, the translation was a bit on the dodgy side, but the fun of the music shone through. And I do love Soave sia il vento even though it was in English. Special props must go to Tiffany Speight as naughty Despina. Again, I'm not sure how much my enjoyment of it was aided by thinking it was going to be a crash and burn so caveat emptor to people who intend to see it.

Next up was Aida. It occurred to me while I watched the production that Aida is one of those SUPER operas that can't be modernised or fiddled with a la Mozart. For one, it's set in Egypt, has a cast of thousands, and one of those super-tragic plots that needs to be sung in Italian :P. The production starred Jennifer Wilson who was absolutely amazing. Not really of Ethiopian slave proportions (which bothered a friend who saw the production before me), she has a BIG voice that blew me away - it could be heard over the very large chorus! Milijana Nikolic as Amneris started off very slowly but by the end I was happy to give her a thumbs up as well *thumbs up*. My main criticism would be that the direction by Graeme Murphy was bordering on the pretentious side with the projections, travelator stage to similuate Egyptian friezes during the triumphal march, and the ballet. Hah! There was a bit where some of the dancers were topless and I could hear the mutterings of *is she naked?!*
going on around me.

The last opera of the season was A Streetcar Named Desire by Andre Previn. I LOVED THIS LAST ONE!!! Starring Yvonne Kenny, Antoinette Halloran, and Teddy *blush* it was full of great singing and made me want to re-read the play and watch the movie.
Sung in English and featuring *modern* music that caused some amusing grumblings from the older ladies while waiting in the toilet queue, I found the production very interesting and a faithful rendition of the play. The music may not have been particularly melodic on par with Mozart, but there was good use of horns (it is set in Nyawlins') and at times simulated modern urban sounds. Thumbs up!

I will admit to being slightly opera'd out now. Onto the 2010 productions!

2 comments:

Pooey said...

JERSEY BOYS! that's opera right?

mallymoodle said...

SURE IS!!!