Saturday, December 19, 2009

Song of the week - Britpop wars part 1

I started re-listening to Oasis' 1995 album What's the Story (Morning Glory), and thinking how much I enjoyed it when it came out. It's release led to one of the seminal moments of the 90s Cool Britannia movement - the Britpop war with Blur.

My song of the week doesn't come from Morning Glory but instead from their 1994 debut, Definitely Maybe. And so here is Whatever.

Good strings and simplicity before infighting and egos led to the bloated overproduction of later works (although I still do love Stop Crying Your Heart Out *thumbs up*).
Next week will be a song from Blur!

1 comment:

Vanilla Bear said...

This song isn't on Definitely Maybe! :/ maybe it was one of their B sides from that album? Or maybe it is on the Australian release, idk..

Either way I have also been listening to Oasis a lot recently, Britpop was pretty great. Wonderwall is still my favourite from What's The Story (Morning Glory) though :) That song was just so mahoosive when it came out!