Monday, May 23, 2011

Le Bon Anniversaire Weekend - Day 1 :D

One of my first thoughts when I'd decided to move o/s was that I wouldn't be able to celebrate my Dirty Thirty with my nearest and dearest in Melbs. :( *boo hoo* It was then however pointed out that I'd be living in EUROPE and I could just invite everyone to somewhere else more awesome. For example, an epic birthday weekend in PARIS. And so I did :D Now, I (un)surprisingly didn't take that many photos so these are all ripped from Pooey (who took heaps) and Tungy (ditto). 


Because I wanted to do it in style, I originally decided I was going to book myself into the Hotel de Crillon on the Place de la Concorde. However at €730 a night (or $1,200 for a suite!) I had to accept that this is simply not possible on a post-doc wage. Dang. I ended up booking an apartment in the 16th district. It was really lovely. Or as Gnoudesavanes called it, "A castle". 
 The Dining room

The Lounge Room. Mmmm, Art Nouveau boiserie...

Seriously, it was the biggest apartment I'd seen in Paris in it's own private street. But I'm really disappointed that we don't appear to have a photo of the real highlight of the apartment - the *Empire Style* ensuite bath in one of the bedrooms. It literally consisted of a bath that was separated from the bedroom by half a wall. But what made it really freaky was that the bathing area was completely surrounded by mirrors so people who were brave (or stupid) enough to use the bath could see themselves reflected into infinity. We decided the owners of the apartment must be swingers.


Due to a miscommunication (or more correctly, a complete lack of communication), we ended up scheduling Dad and Bro into Paris as their last stop, so I caught up with them and Pooey and we went down to Pierre Herme St. Germain des Pres to get macarons for the Bro and cakes for us! I can't remember what they were called but they were bee-yoo-ti-fool!

My gorgeous...something

It wasn't just beautiful, it was delicious with rose and lychee-flavoured cream to go with the macaron shell and raspberry.

Pooey was pretty happy with her sweetie too. She enjoyed it in the Salle d'Attente of the Gare de l'Est.

We were pretty wrecked after waving goodbye to the Dad and Bro so we headed back to the Castle to sleep in preparation of the rest of the weekend.

No comments: