Monday, May 02, 2011

Pooey's here!!!

Yay!!! Pooey arrived yesterday to help me babysit Dad and Brother and since she's here, I decided we should try to eat at some of the places near my (current) apartment which I have wanted to eat at but haven't for whatever reason (usually exhaustion and being alone). There are two Japanese restaurants I wanted to check out and we ended up at Kushi-Tei because we were so lazy we kept walking straight.


Part of the reason why I always wanted to go here were the magical words in their title - Japanese grillhouse. Another reason was their chalkboard outside the restaurant featured Japanese handwriting. Pooey and I were both heartened by this because it meant (to us) that Japanese people actually worked there. We were then pleasantly pleased upon entering to find that the clientele were also Japanese. Only good things could come from this. And then the guy serving us was a bit of a cutie. In fact, when he gave us our tea or something or other, Pooey actually said, "Thanks, Cutie." As he left, I said to her, "You know, he can probably understand you." Heheheh. 


We decided to get a pair of set izakaya/yakitori menus (B and D for anyone who want to follow this up) and I can't really remember what they were but I'll give it a shot. 


First up, we were given some free carrot and cucmber sticks. This was good because it turned out that we really needed the vegetable component. Since I have been deprived of fresh seafood, I asked for sashimi. Unfortunately since Munich is landlocked, we could tell from the texture of the salmon that it had probably been shipped here deep frozen :(

Next! Some panko fried things. Ummm, off the top of my head I think it was prawn, mushrooms, chicken, something I couldn't identify, and I can't remember the last one. We also go a capsicum (paprika) stuffed with meat!

Yakitori chicken and Zucchini followed by Chicken with garlic. Mmmm, fragrant.

More yakitori chicken with cherry tomatoes (nice! Wouldn't have thought of it) and stuffed mushrooms. And then some grilled chicken chops with baby corn.

Dish of the night! Grilled beef and I can't remember what the side was, it was so overwhelmed by the awesomeness of the meat. Some disappointing california rolls came with the menu, although it was nice to get the taste of roasted sesame again. 

The menu also came with miso soup that was bizarrely given to us with a spoon and roasted green tea which Pooey is enjoying 

While we were eating/waiting between courses, we were looking at a cartoon menu that was tacked up above the door. We were so tempted by one particular item that we ordered it despite not really needing it in the menu. That item that temped us so was...chicken skin. Yes, we ate deep fried/grilled chicken skin on skewers. It was artery-clogging awesomeness.

Would I go back here? It's a bit on the excy side but for genuine jap flavours served by a cutie? Definitely! Also, Pooey pointed out that they had a bar area I could sit at if I decided to return all on my lonesome. Win!

No comments: