Friday, May 13, 2011

More Berlin stuffs.

After the walking tour, I revisited some of the places that seemed especially interesting. Firstly, me and the Bro went back to Checkpoint Charlie to get some cheesy photos.


Freedom fist!

The Communists are always watching...

Inside the replica checkpoint cabin...small...

I found this sign amusing

And very amusingly, a few meters down the road from the checkpoint was this bastion of capitalism.

I then went to the Checkpoint Charlie Museum shop to get myself a mug that sayd *You Are Now Leaving The American Sector* in 4 different languages!


On Sunday, Dad and Bro decided to take another tour to Potsdam(chen) while I decided to try to see Nefertiti at the Neues Museum. I hadn't done my research on what time it opened so after saying bai to Dad and Bro as they made their way to Alexanderplatz, I found myself wandering around the various museums around in a pretty much deserted  Lustgarten.

This heroic guy was hanging out at the Altes Museum

Looking out from the steps of the Altes Museum over the Lustgarten

Mmm, peaceful.

The Alte Nationalegalerie. I wanted to climb to get a photo but there was a locked gate barring the way (huff)

I also managed to see some tourists doing the Chinese Camera Stance!

It took me longer than I thought it would to go through the Neues Museum - all those Egyptian artifacts were so interesting! Anyway, finding out that I was running out of time - my train back to Muenchen was supposed to leave at 4-something - I decided to follow Johnny's advice and climb the Franzoesicher Dom - he claimed it was the best unobstructed view in the city. I asked the woman at the desk how long it would it take and she looked at me and said *for someone as young as you, 5 minutes.* I believe she was correct! Now, I climbed all the way to the top of the Dom and found it was glassed in - Johnny lied! 


Looking down into the Dom's staircase!

Looking up into the bells!


But then I thought as I made my way back down the staircase...I wonder what these doors do...and pushed one open where I found the best unobstructed view in Berlin! The backpacker that followed me said he had been told it was unobstructed too - this makes me wonder how many people climbed to the top find themselves disappointed....







Berlin is a pretty flat city (it was built on a swamp) so you could see quite far.


Unfortunately I wasn't able to climb the glass dome of the Reichstag because apparently you need to book that two working days in advance. Oh well, just another reason to revisit!


I'll climb you another day!

No comments: