Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fliegerbombe 2012

And here's a story that would never happen if I stayed living in Melbs.

In the Schwabing district, near the English Gardens and Muenchener Freiheit, there was a really scungy bar that I would often go to hang out in, usually with either Amy or my hombres Ruben y David. It was closed down some time ago and demolished. Yesterday in the construction site, a 250kg live bomb from WWII was discovered.
DA BOMB in situ! (Source)

This bomb, which I would like to call *Doodle Dandy*, because it was dropped by American forces,  apparently had bomb experts look at it and say "I'm not defusing that, I'm not suicidal!" The bomb was covered in strawa as a dampening device and a 300m exclusion zone was set up and it was set up and apparently there was chaos throughout the day because it's close to Leopoldstr., one of the major north-south roads in the city. 

It was eventually defused at 10pm tonight after everyone was evacuated and...I heard a BOOM from my apartment 4km away!!! Ruben who lives a lot closer says he's hearing a lot of sirens going along the street to the site! 
Video of the detonation!
Checking the local newspaper sites, Abendzeitung which had a live feed reports that buildings rocked, alarms are going off in the U-bahn, and buildings are on fire, with the below photo!
HELLZ YEAH!!! (Source)

But before you think Munich looks like this, it turns out that when the bomb detonated, the fragments and straw flew through the air and ignited the nearby buildings. 

So yes. That was the excitement of the day. I can't wait to get one of these t-shirts!
(For more photos, go to Suddeutsche Zeitung here. For the Abendzeitung feed, see here. English language article about the discovery, go here)

No comments: