Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Rad City - Part 2, Return to the Barawesome Valley

When discussing what we should do when I visited them, I told Stephan that, as a tourist, I was happy to do whatever they wanted so they should use me as an excuse to do anything new or anything they'd like to re-do...and that's how we decided to go to the Barawesome Valley and visit our favourite wineries to load up on vino!

First stop, Rockford.

Rockford had beautiful grounds with renovated buildings

This is clearly somewhere that weddings can be held. Hint, hint.  

I often feel that the first visited winery gets the short shrift because you get there in the morning and don't really feel like drinking (and buying) so much wine. Having said that, the wines were pretty good. 

Our next stop - Chateau Tanunda, where Claudia and I picked up a bottle of shiraz-primitivo/zinfandel blend that, when drank with chocolate, tastes like cherry ripe!

Croquet field!

Me and Stephan being tourists

Kekeke

The classic Australian view.

Our next stop and the site of no photos this time around was Langmeil. Stephan had never heard of it and I really enjoyed getting him to taste my Phd submission and graduation wines, The Fifth Wave grenache and The Freedom Shiraz, both of which I might say that he loved. And he's a picky, picky guy. But at $40 and $100 a bottle respectively, we decided instead to invest in bottles of tawny that were being sold at $10/bottle. I know what I'm taking back to Munich with me!

Our last stop of the day, and it really had to be the last because we were starting to get tanked, was Murray Street Vineyards. I had never been to this one before but the wines they had were also very nice (classic Barossa shiraz and shiraz blends), that went down well with the cheese and meat platter we shared. 
The vines

The tasting area

The playground

Suitably tanked, the day ended with a leisurely drive through the Adelaide Hills and a bbq before I had to pack for my return to Melbs the next day. 

No comments: