Sunday, August 25, 2013

Saturday birthday foods

I had a busy day yesterday that was bookended by two birthday parties. 

First stop was brunch with Iris and friends at Cafe Glockenspiel were I had this:
French toast with fruit and speck. 
I never really thought about the combination before until one of the Germans pointed it out to me - when did it become normal to eat bacon with maple syrup? I remember doing it in other cities and not thinking that the presence of crispy bacon was at all strange. One of the late-arriving girls ordered the same as me because she wanted to try out the combination of the salty/savoury speck with maple syrup. On the other hand, some girls at the table said they'd never heard of french toast at all, so maybe it's just not common in Germany full stop. 

Last stop of the day was Carola's epic birthday party out in the middle of the Bavarian nowhere that featured a dazzling buffet with an amazing array of food, but a special shout out has to go to this:
COOKIE MONSTER CUPCAKE!!!
Like, don't even bother trying to tell me that that's not cool. I haven't heard it but your argument is invalid. Also, props to the cookie pops (on the bottom left) and the berry/cream/meringue mess from Laura.

No comments: