Monday, August 12, 2013

What's been going on?

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I feel as though I've been busy for the last few weeks (which is part of the reason why I haven't been updating this blog as regularly as usual), and yet...I seem to have no evidence of what I've been doing. Anyway, here's a rundown of what I know has been going on.

The heatwave continued and pretty much everyone except myself died.
In fact, it was so like Melbs that with the lack of rain and hot weather, the grass at work turned yellow! Germans would ask me if the weather made me feel homesick, and I would reply with a, "Not really. The summer is like this in Australia...except we have this kind of weather for 3 months instead of 3 weeks!" Shadya has also been getting comments about how she must be loving it since she's Colombian except, like Australia, all buildings in Colombia have airconditioning and she's also been dying. When you've got a few days over 25C in a row, one really begins to appreciate the wonders of German insulation in a really bad way...

But during those super-hot days, me and my work peeps went to Yen-C, a newish hot-pot restaurant. As the only Asian amongst the crew, I was happily boiling my seafood in the spicy soup base while watching everyone else sweating like crazy from the heat and soup while grappling with getting their noodles out of the pot. The decision was unanimous - everyone thought it was delicious and would like to return! But during the winter and not a 30C day.

I finally read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. A time-travel/historical epic/romance novel, it has kinda inspired me to go to the Scottish highlands and see if I can find my own Jamie Fraser! Although...I'd probably have to travel back 200 years in time and my princessy-ness would mean that I'd die before he could rescue me.

Job searching is being conducted. My contract will end at the end of this year and I have made the somewhat scary decision that, as much as I love academia, it's a great job but it's a shit career, and so I would like to leave. *GULP!* I'm hoping to nab a job in medical writing though. I think this would be a great job for me :D Fingers crossed, my friends.

No comments: