Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Need For Speed (and shucking of chickenshit tendencies)

I had an interesting day yesterday whereby I did a number of things I normally would not. Firstly...well, despite being a Saturday, I was home all day! No parties, no shopping, nada. And then because I was home, I ended up watching Dr. Who which I surprisingly found quite entertaining. I also dismantled a computer by myself (!!!) and removed the CD ROM, before driving to the airport to pick up Luthersmee and Poosy.

We went back to Luthersmee's place for him to extract the motor from the CD ROM (which I also helped in) and for me to kill time. I killed time by watching some episodes of Little Britain and, more interestingly, Top Gear. For those who don't know what that is or are too lazy to click on the link, Top Gear is a BBC2 programme about cars. Generally, I don't care too much for cars so long as they get me from A to B in a comfortable manner. However, the demands of Monday Gymday often results in me eating dinner alone with Top Gear as company and so I have started to appreciate cars and, more ominously, driving.

The episode that Luthersmee set up for me to watch hasn't aired here yet, but it was the one where Jackie Stewart attempted to help presenter James May cut his lap time around a circuit by 20 seconds. And so, I sat and watched and absorbed Jackie's advice about driving, how to drive fast, when to brake, when to accelerate, how to take corners etc. At 1:30am, I had to go home but when confronted by that beautiful stretch of clear road that stretched from Luthersmee's to my place, a road I know has been used for racing in the past...suddenly all I heard in my head were Jackie's scottish accent barking commands at me. At some point I realised I was driving 30kmh over the limit in a suburban area. But shocked as I am now when I read that last line, I remember that brilliant thrilling feeling I had last night as I overtook all those cars. Perhaps I'll start enjoying driving more now.

I just hope there weren't any speeding cameras *gulp*.

No comments: