Monday, August 28, 2006

Unwritten law

I'm sure I would have ranted at some point in time about the unwritten laws that stop our society from falling apart at the seams. Stuff like *stand on the left, walk on the right of the escalator*, you know, seemingly trivial stuff, that upon thought, are actually quite handy.

I do like to adhere to these rules and chunder angrily when others don't, although having said that I was in a quandary when I was driving on a very busy road and the car in front of me broke down. I was looking to change lanes while the guy got out of his car and started to push. I considered whether I too should have gotten out to help him push his car out of the way when someone from the queue of cars behind me got out and helped push, while I happily drove off.

This got me thinking, as the first person in the line behind the guy, should I have been the one to help him push his car? As I was the first one to see him break down, I should have been the one to help push, or at least steer, in order to decrease the line. However, my brother says that as a girl I am exempt from all parts of this rule.


What does everyone else think?

No comments: