Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Birthday stories!

Another year past, another year over. But this year, I have officially been told that my life if over!

Yes. At the lab meeting yesterday, upon hearing that I am now vingt-six years of age, Erica in all her wonderful tact and wisdom said to me, "You know, when I turned vingt-six, I remember looking into the mirror and thinking 'I'm so old, my life is over!'" and then she went on to tell us a story about how her Dad decided that since she had come of age, she should move out of the family home. I don't know what kind of messages she's trying to send me, but I'll go happily on my own way.

Later Kirsty had made her mars bar cake and we scoffed it down in the phd room, especially Marlene who had 2.5 pieces. I also downed a shot of port for good luck. Then I met up with Laura and went to Toff in Town for a celebratory glass of champagne. As a bar, the prices are quite $$ (the Grand Empress would have a fit!), but the decor is lovely! The place is divided into little compartments like the Hogwarts Express. Nice and privacy-inducing, but a little claustrophobic when we shut everything and we suspect that unless you get there early, you're just gonna have to stand.

Later we went to part two of the Opera series - The Pirates of Penzance! I won't deny it. I was MOST ANNOYED to discover that David Hobson had decided to go on It Takes Two instead of appearing in Pirates - if i knew he was going to do that, I wouldn't have booked tickets for a Tuesday performance! Either way, I did enjoy it (just not as much). And Anthony Warlow was fantastic as the Pirate King/Jack Sparrow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhkamkSHDpY
(embedding disallowed)
There's just something about Pirates that looks like jolly fun when its being performed - makes you want to just jump up and join in! I think I may purchase the DVD to get the real deal.

No comments: