Saturday, May 05, 2007

Time on my hands

This is my first uni-free weekend in ages! So I spent most of today sleeping.

Last night after the usual work drinks, I went to Cam's goodbye drinks are Baroq. In the same way I prefer Manchuria without all the people, I prefer Baroq without all the people (although it has never been on the *my bar* list). But the alcohol was flowing (Cam has hinted that the bar tab came to over $1k) and it was good to catch up with Liz who was present.

I then had to trundle off to what was described to me as a *Breast Cancer Charity Networking Night*. As a research scientist, I thought it'd be nice to attend seeing as most of the professional networks I attend seem to be for accountants. It turned out to be something akin to Lavish...but where they set up groups of people into areas with the idea that we randoms were to talk to each other....without turning down the volume of the music.
When we ran into each other in the loos, a girl in my group apologised to me later that she couldn't hear me. And even then, not to sound like a snob but I think the education levels of my fellow crowd members may have intimidated them as when asked what I did for a living, the reply *studying my PhD* *In what?* *Neuroscience* made a lot of people back off. *shrug* Nonetheless, thanks to Kim for organising and we need to catch up in a less loud venue soon!

I went back to Baroq but not long after I realised I was totally buggered and decided to go home and as I wrote before, spent most of today sleeping. C'est la vie!

No comments: