Saturday, March 01, 2008

When to stop

You know, I was rather proud of my achievement in staying semi-dry last year. Okay, okay, some people argue that there were so many provisos on my drinking conditions that I may as well have been drinking full time. (To them I argue that it's hard not to drink when ppl get offended if you're not drinking at their birthday etc.) Regardless, there were a few notable side effects.
  1. I think I got fitter
  2. I'm definite I saved a lot of money
  3. I barely saw any of my non-work friends because I wasn't meeting with them for late night drinks.
Regardless of the positives, I happily reverted back to *normal* setting and have been drinking up a storm this year. After last night I think I'm going to have to push the reset button and go back to the four drinks/night quota.

The night started innocuously enough by meeting up with Lydia and having a glass of champagne. Okay, it was on an empty stomach but we went off soon after for dinner and I think it didn't have too much of an effect on our behaviour.

We decided to check out a newish bar, 1806, which celebrates the history of the cocktail. Being the great scholar of history that I am, I decided to try something classic, something with a bit of teeth. I ended up choosing the Sazerac, which was described in the cocktail menu as being half bourbon, half cognac, bitters, absinthe, and a bit of sugar syrup. That's right, absolutely not mixer in there at all. When the bartenders saw the little Asian girl ordering one (actually, it was Lydia, not me), they expressed their concern but we shrugged it off.

KER-RIST that drink is not for the faint hearted!!!

While Lydia calmly downed her drink (I can't remember what it was), I was breathing fire trying to down that monster. It wasn't that bad that I was willing to forgo the money I paid for it and not drink it, but I'll list it as one of the liquors to strip the lining of your mouth.

Later we met up with QQ where we drank some of her (warm) champagne before Lydia headed home while the rest of us went to jwow. At jwow I skolled a glass of grenache because the fire alarm went off. Needless to say I don't really remember much after that but upon resurfacing, I found myself in the hole that is CQ. All that place does is reinforce to me how much I hate the bodypress meatmarket.

Yes indeed, I think it's time to stop drinking. Again.

No comments: