Sunday, August 17, 2008

Resurrection

Oh, Friday night was like one of the Friday nights of yore. Around the same time I started feeling as though it had been ages since I went on a true bender (it has been ages), Lydia mentioned it had been a while since we'd caught up, and Gnoudesavanes made some sort of comment asking what kinds of things tourists could do in this city. One thing led to another and I was organising a bar crawl. The theme was upstairs. The aim was to visit many upstairs bars and go hard. While not everything was achieved, I believe we did well.

Our contingent comprised of (at various points in the night) myself, QQ, Lydia, Gnoudesavanes, QQ's handbag, Gordon1, DrMish, Annamac, Lydia2, Gordon2, and I can't remember who else. With some fortification via two glasses of red at After Seminar Drinks, we trundled down to meet the others and have some victuals in the city. Unforch, our chosen place told us we would have to wait 45 minutes for some dumplings. We duly ditched them and had some Thai food instead.

The bar crawl itself did not get off to a great start as the bouncer claimed that there was a guestlist for our first bar. Excuse me?! A
guest list at 7:40pm on a Friday? The old *too many people already up there* excuse would have worked better. No matter, we moved on to old favourite Manchuria were we partook in a bottle of sparkly.

L-R. Dr Mish, Mallymoodle, Lydia, QQ, and Lydia 2

Nice. Continuing on the upstairs Asian theme, we went down the street to New Gold Mountain.

Now I must make a mention of NGM's Cocktail no. 8. At some point in one of our conversation sessions, Gnoudesavanes menti
oned that he loved absinthe (typical frenchie) and how it was to be drunk. Cocktail no. 8 contained absinthe (and tanqueray gin, pomme vert, lime, and kiwi fruit) so it was ordered with a bit of apprehension as to how it would taste given the non-traditional preparation. It was awesome and the table ended up purchasing a total of six.

We enjoy our number 8 cocktails
L-R. Me, Lydia, Annamac, Gnoudesavanes

The revelry then shifted to Siglo where some of us braved the rain to look at the view Parliament House and Nicholson St which is really lovely.

It's hard to hold still for night shots

Gnoudesavanes (tries to be) is cool *EDITED ON 25/Aug by request

Even though it has an upstairs component, we were seated in the ground floor section of our last bar, 1806. Given how late it was (around 1am now), this is when things started losing their class. While we started off with cocktails (I had a Mitch Martini, Gordon had a mojito, I can't remember Lydia2's drink, someone whose name I can't remember had a drink that I can't remember, Gnoudesavanes had the infamous sazerac), we watched the bartender painstakingly drip water into our absinthe, and then quickly followed by tequila shots - the salt for which was very good!

Soon after this I had to go home as I was spending Saturday afternoon with Meta (Pascal was being huffy and spent the day with someone else). So my total drink count for the night came in at a highly respectable nine. Needless to say, I didn't get much work done.

No comments: