Thursday, June 11, 2009

Comfort food - frozen lasagne

I can't remember how or why, but recently I had a craving for frozen lasagne. Following satiating of this craving, I have been inspired to write this post! Yes, for a girl who likes her fine dining, I can go hella cheap and nasty when the second brain in my gut demands it.
But why frozen lasagne? It's probably the melange of tomato-based sauce with unidentifiable meat (I'm not sure whether it's beef, mutton, or random machine scrapings - probably all three), layered between sheets of pasta that are invariably stuck together at one end, slathered in a bechamel-esque white sauce. I can't say 'cheese' sauce because I'm not sure if there is actually any cheese in it. Regardless of whether it is cooked in the oven or microwave, there is something indescribably seductive about holding the hot tray in your hands, tangy tomato-ish scent wafting around, and then the first bite when the salty-sweet flavour inherent in all instant foods spreads around one's mouth.
Our personal favourite is the Sara Lee brand which can be found as either 1kg Family (or 2.3kg Jumbo Family) sizes. I can recall many a Friday night as a child where Pooey, Spuey and I would share one, eyeing each other off and making sure the thing was sliced up with mathematical precision to make sure no one received more than the other.
Oh great, now I'm craving it again.

2 comments:

Pooey said...

mmmm lasagne... mmmm

sara lee factory... mmmm...

SuBoo said...

I am so full from yumcha but you have made me hungry.
I am craving one now with burnt bits on the top/sides