Friday, June 19, 2009

English Grammar

English grammar is one those topics that inspires a specific way of thinking, and that way of thinking is 'posh'. So, older brother purchased a book explaining various English grammar rules (for making sure he drafts things properly). Being the nerd I am, I started reading about various rules out loud while riding in the car. As time went on, Brother pointed out that my vowels were becoming more 'round' and thus I was sounding 'posh'. He then poked fun at me. But I just couldn't help it! It's one of those topics, that make you think Received Pronunciation! The next day I was vindicated when he said while he was reading the book, he started thinking in Received Pronunciation. Hah!

We also ended up debating the use of the full stop (or period in American English). The book stated that the use of a full stop is used in abbreviations, however this is falling out of practice. Well, I still use it! If someone is a mister, doctor or professor, it's still Mr., 'Dr., and Prof. to me! I was then accused of using archaic grammar. I beg to differ, it is not archaic, it is correct!

8 comments:

Verity Lowenna said...

Keep reading that book and you might end up with my accent, it is ridiculously posh.

I'm also a bit of a Grammar geek and I believe that 'Mr.' is correct form when it is handwritten, but 'Mr' is correct when it is typed.

Vanilla Bear said...

I don't teach the . for titles, you are archaic! :P

Sarah said...

I've never seen "Mr" in American grammar. It's always "Mr."

Maybe we're just behind all you posh advanced types across the pond/world.

mallymoodle said...

Hey Lola! I don't really wish to speak in received pronounciation - being an Aussie, that accent REALLY stands out!

Vanillabear, I can remember going to my first day of school as a four year old and seeing the teacher's name written as Mrs. W - ego, full stop after abbreviated title is correct!

And H5, Sarah!

Unknown said...

what is the name of the book...strunks something or other..i have that..not a bad little book..the economist website has their rules of grammar as well...

Verity Lowenna said...

Mallymoodle received pronounciation stands out a bit in Yorkshire too, but I can see why you wouldn't want to sounds english when you're Australian

Elle, the Economist's Style Guide is a wonderful little book; my copy is getting seriously worn, I use it all the time.

mallymoodle said...

The guide he bought is the Bloomsbury guide by Jarvie.

Anonymous said...

Excellent way to learn English Grammar. Thank you !!