Wednesday, June 24, 2009

One semester fail (not me this time!)

So I've been at uni for a very, very, very long time. In that time, I've seen a lot of things on campus come and go, I've seen various aspects evolve with the changing face of technology and student demands. I would like to think that I've become a good judge of what students like and therefore what will work at uni. For example, students like cheap food and free booze so noodle shops and beer at barbecues are always popular.

One thing I've watched with a modicum of interest is the transformation of Union House from a
fairly low budget space where one could find cheap nooks to study in and subsidised food hall into something much shinier with flatscreens showing constants streams of advertising and a commercial space. One might argue that students at my uni like to use the lateast forms of communication and thus having a mobile phone shop in the main hall is a bonus convenience. Since that store has been around for the last 3 years, I'd say it must successfully fulfil some sort of demand.

One might also argue that
students tend to be of the higher economic background and like to wear the lastest fashions. However, while people might think opening a branded jeans store on campus seems like a no-brainer, I think people with half a brain would see that such a store would be unsustainable. While people might go *I hate my phone plan, I'm going to look for another one right now!*, it's not as if they would also say *I hate my jeans, I'm going to buy another pair right now!* So when I saw that some fool had the golden decision to open a franchised store in the Union House, I didn't give it long. Sure enough, I walked past it today to find the space cleared out and the sign gone. Colour me surprised! The length of time the store had been there? About one semester.

I just hope a whole lot of money wasn't ploughed into that poor piece of logic. Hope springs eternal.

No comments: