Monday, June 22, 2009

Sculpture of the Week - Five Elements - Water by Master Tetsunori Kawana

Master Tetsunori Kawana, Five Elements - Water, 2009
NGV International, Melbourne, Australia

I went to the gallery yesterday to see the Salvador Dali - Liquid Desire exhibition but while I was waiting for Ruilin, I took a stroll in the sculpture garden where I saw this wondrous creation. Made out of metres and metres of split bamboo, this absolutely HUGE sculpture amazingly recreates the undulating forms of a wave.This is going to sound pretty tossy, but I spent a bit of time looking at this and thinking about lovely it was. Apparently bamboo sculpture is considered a non-traditional form of ikebana. A photo from the side shows that the supporting structure underneath is also made from bamboo.
Awesome!

No comments: