Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bacon gumball review

A few weeks ago, Dr. I posted a picture of a tin of bacon flavoured gumballs on the book of face with the caption 'Only in America'. Going against the flow as I often do, despite many people decrying about how awful they must be I found myself intrigued at how the combination of savoury bacon and sweet gummy flavour would work. Wonder no more!!! The gumballs have arrived and in the grand scientific tradition of self-testing and experimental replication, I can no report on how they taste!

Opening the tin, you'll find yourself assaulted with an intial
aroma of artificial smokey-bacon flavour in conjunction with the rubbery undertone of gumball. Upon putting one of these in my mouth...when the gumball shell cracked, a dry, smoke-like flavour expanded throughout my mouth, permeating my soft mucous membranes and continuing down my throat. I felt as though an actual smoke cloud was there, so I would describe the experience as to akin to smoking cigarettes although given that I've never smoked a cigarette ever (yes, this is true), I could be wrong. The initial 'smoke' is then juxtaposed by the sweetness of gum leading to a flavour best described as a melange of smoke and rubber. The awfulness made me laugh and I eventually had to eject the gum and swill my mouth out with glasses (yes, plural) of water. As one of my audience said, "I wish I had a video camera to record that!"

Pooey's description, "...like eating the remnants of a burnout."

Scientists are a curious bunch, in being both inquisitive and also of a strange nature, and so I was highly entertained going around ACB asking various people if they wanted a bacon gumball. From Honours Student to Associate Professor, one could track the piquing of interest, followed by the horror induced by the scent, the resolute attitude of whether they were up to the challenge, an initial confusion in response to the initial flavour, disgust in response to the second, and then either humour or declarations of how evil I am. So regardless of edible rating and whether they fulfill their promise of being a bacon-flavoured gumball, there is definitely much entertainment to be had from them!

1 comment:

Pooey said...

seriously disgusting