Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sport of the Year!!!

Long time readers of this blog will be aware that I try to do something known as *Sport of the Year* - at the beginning of the year, I find a new sport at which I have no experience and try to attain some sort of proficiency in it. Well, I finally have my sport of 2010. It is shooting.

*crickets chirp*

I know what most of you are thinking: *Who is crazy enough to give Mallymoodle a gun?* Well, I was invited to handle some firepower on a wintry afternoon by Mrs. K because she wanted to shoot (a gun) before her dirty 30 and we went to the outer suburbs to the firing range.

Getting attired with my eye and ear protection!

Patiently watching Mrs. K receive instructions and taking aim...when are they giving me my gun?!?!

Possibly kinda important, apparently I'm supposed to hold the gun upsides rather than sideways in my hand

And making sure I point it in the 'right' direction

Getting more advice...although interestingly, not how to aim the gun...

Reloading. As Mr. K said, "Errr...you looked scarily comfortable and competent handling that thing..."

EAT LEAD, TARGET!!!!

"Don't you cheek me, mister!!!*

We both found the experience highly invigorating! You think it's easy to hold up something and aim it at something that's only 20m away, but it's not! Out of 25 bullets, I only hit the target once. I'm not concerned, it just means when a gun is in my hand, EVERYONE is in danger cos I'll spray them anywhere! I hit it more often once I was moved from the revolver to the semi-automatic pistol - when you're shooting one of those, it's like you can just fire away one after the other like a movie, if only I could hold the revolver in one hand and the pistol in the other with crossed arms, John Woo-style! Oooh yeah!

And so, the two of us have discovered a new sporting experience was as well as instilling fear into Mr. K! We're all going shooting again in a fortnight somewhere closer in! Stay away from Port Melb, people!


Peaceful shooting, people!
(Always Asian!)

4 comments:

Pooey said...

i wanna do this too!!!!!

Pooey said...

oh btw, nice scarf

mallymoodle said...

Apparently there's a really good shooting range in Radelaide!

I should go visit and we can shoot em up!

Lynnie said...

I've shot a few different guns and I enjoyed it sooooooo much more than what I thought I would. It is fun and kinda scary. But my arms got tired. Lol.