Friday, August 13, 2010

Award-winning!

I was talking to Clinty last night and, as usual, we got onto the topic of food. There is a bakery not too far from Uni called The French Lettuce, which allegedly has title of best vanilla slice in Melbourne. Or, as The Silver Fox and other Australians call them, 'Snot Blocks'. On the way in today, I decided that I had to swing by and taste these so called *best* snot blocks. Here is my assessment.

Firstly, at $5 a piece, it's not cheap! But when I unveiled it in the tea room at lunch, we all agreed - it's a pretty hefty sized slice!

It measured in at about 7cm x 7cm x5cm.
Niiiiiice.

I decided that while I could eat it, I would not mock my colleagues and so it was quite comfortably shared as lunch dessert between 4 people. We discussed the pros and cons of the slice and here's a quick summary.

Pros
  • Covered in a light dusting of icing sugar rather than that thick cakey icing layer found on your usual snot block.
  • Light, fluffy pastry.
  • Excellent texture of the custardy cream (creme patissiere). Very smooth and wonderfully flavoured!
Cons
  • Well...the fluffiness of the pastry meant that when we attempted to cut it, the custard came out the sides....but that just means the pastry is awesome, right?!
As we sat around the table licking our custard-covered fingers, we debated whether we agreed it to be prize-worthy. Our verdict? Absolutely!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

apparently the best place is in sorrento-i have tried it twice and it is awesome. i ahve not tried this one though. you need to go to sorrento to verify this judgement.