Saturday, August 07, 2010

Sculpture of the week - Lunch with Helmet On by Shigeo Fukuda

Shigeo Fukuda, Lunch with Helmet On, 1987
I dont know where it's exhibited, probably Japan
(Source)

A couple of days ago, I bought an art monograph called Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali & the Artists of Optical Illusion. It's pretty cool and I highly recommend it to people who like to look at optical illusions and go *wow!* But despite the big names in the title, I found that the best illusions in the book were not by Escher or Dali, but artist that were lesser known (to me). And I decided that the artist profiled in the book that I liked best was Fukuda.

Lunch with Helmet On is constructed out of 848 forks, knives, and spoons welded together to make that...mass...which magically has the shadow of a motorcycle when a light is shone at a certain angle! Like, WTH...THAT'S AMAZING!!! Fukuda has done a number of these, and according to the authors of the monograph, he's said that it's extremely difficult to make a 3D object that allows equal penetration of light to form the shadow. I do not doubt this statement - I'm amazed that he could do this at all!!!

BEST PIECE EVER!!!

No comments: