Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Two epic dinners

Yesterday and tonight, I had two epic dinners.

On Tuesday night, I forewent a Zumba Class (those abs are to die for! LOL) because dancinghula was back from C-town so we , her siblings, and various other friends went to the Robert Burns Hotel. Don't be fooled by the connotations of the name - we didn't have haggis. Oh no. Instead, we had a Spanish feast! Unfortunately, I didn't take that many photos because we were too busy digging in.

Pffft, we had to have sangria of course!

Tapas to share: Eggplant chips. We also had the albondigas (meatballs), chorizo, garlic prawns, stuffed mushrooms...there was more but I can't remember.

Mains: Seafood...for TWO?!?! This was HUGE!!! We also had two different paellas, one with seafood and one with seafood and chicken. I really wish I took photos of them because they too were HUGE!!!

Luckily we decided to keep our dessert stomachs clear because when the waiter told us what they were, we...er.....kinda ordered all of them :D.

Catalan Cream/Custard. Like a less set creme brulee. That's not a criticism - it was delicious!

Orange cheesecake. Also delicious!

Churros. Light and fluffy with a crispy outer. *thumbs up*

Sticky Date pudding. Okay, not really that Spanish but still good!

Chocolate Fondant. Alas, this one was a bit of a disappointment because it lacked the gooey centre. That problem was solved by pouring the churros dipping sauce into the fondant!

I will admit, by the end I was feeling in a little bit of pain - my food baby was definitely increasing! But she/he/it grew another month bigger when Tuesday night was followed up with Czech dinner on Wednesday night!

Apparently, Koliba was the first authentic Czech and Slovak restaurant in Melbs. Not having visited the region (yet), I'm not sure if it's authentic but they definitely had things that pleased the crowd.

WarBrother, quite pleased with his 500ml beer

WarBrother, much MORE pleased with ONE LITRE beer steins!

Note the family resemblance here on their pleased, pleased faces

My plum brandy. Very smooth and easy going down.

Enough about the booze - onto the food!


Entree - Bramborak, a potato pancake with side of sauerkraut

Utopenci, marinated sausage with raw onions

My DEVIL BREAD (for reals, it was called this on the menu), bread with minced meat and cheese

The mains - what is apparently the Czech National dish: roast pork with sauerkraut and bread dumplings (a bit like the flour bit on cha siu bao)

Crumbed and deep fried edam with traditional potato salad (and garden salad)

My Chernohor - pork schnitzel wrapped in bramborak - potato pancake - with potato salad (and garden salad)

When I told Pooey the cuisine of the night, she asked me how it was with the comment, "You know, people don't go to the Czech Republic for their food." I can understand why. Mischka described the food as 'hearty'. Someone else said that's a euphemism for 'big servings of bland-ish food'. Maybe I got lucky, but I quite liked my orders although it was agreed that my dishes were the best ones of the night. I suppose if you don't like sauerkraut, onion or potatoes, happen to be a vegetarian, or unable to eat giant wheels of deep fried cheese as large as your face, this place may not be for you. But if you are capable of any of the above, go for it! Or you know, you could share meals. The servings were definitely capable of being confortably shared between two.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

watchoo talkin about!?!? it was awesome! hahaha..

actually i hated the food in prague..but i was told this place was good. it was indeed, better than what i had in prague.

but i totally resent the fact they call slices of white bread dumplings!

DEFINTEILY you can eat a main between two! that is what two grown men were doing behind us!!!!!

i liked it, it was very chillaxed, great for a big group and informal dining! hehehehe!