Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cha siu bao and poison pork rolls

The other night as I made my way home after an exhausting day in the lab, Pooey requested that I get her a snack. The choice of snack was up to me. I decided to go to Nam Loong on Russell St. to pick up some cha siu baos (roast pork buns). At $1.50 each, I think it's a pretty good deal when you're standing in the cold with a bag of steaming hot buns in one hand and digging into the bun with the other (and your mouth).

Mmmm, steamy

Mmmm, porky

When I got home with the buns, Ma was so insulted at the idea that I paid for the buns that she declared she was going to make some for us! And she did!

But then because Spuey was coming back from G-town, Ma also got us some poison pork rolls! Or more correctly, banh mi thit. We only call them that because a few years ago they were linked to salmonella poisoning. But the danger only makes the meal more worthy!

My poison pork roll. Sneaky Spuey nearly ate his and mine!

Mmmm, fillings

I actually don't know what's the going rate for these bread rolls anymore. About 10 years ago they were $2.20 which means they're probably around the $3 mark? I dunno. I just eat them.

2 comments:

Rachie P said...

Poison pork rolls are the best. They are $3.50 now Mally but still worth every cent. I had one for breakky. Nom nom nom.

SuBoo said...

I love these but due to a couple of stomachaches post-pork roll consumption I now have the grilled meats inside. It's just not the same though *sigh*