Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Horoki

This post is mostly written for Spuey. I don't know if he actually reads my blog, I think he does in a sort of random manner, but we contemplated coming here for dinner on Saturday except I couldn't guarantee him that dinner would be less than $30 per person and I couldn't get a table for 5 at short notice (it's a small restaurant).

Anyway! Tonight after attending a lecture with the Vanderpoons about the potential for climate change to affect disease rates (e.g. malaria, hookwork, influenza), we decided to celebrate Clinty's dirty 30 by going to Hutong. Not having booked, we naturally didn't get in and so instead we came up with the BRILLIANT idea to go to HOROKI!!! Horoki serves a kind of Japanese-fusion menu but before you roll your eyes at the *fusion* bit, I can say that they do it wonderfully. Not only will these photos show how wonderfully the food is presented, but the flavours were so clean and simple!


Daikon and sashimi salad ($14.50)
Despite being a bit *meh* about ordering salads (and salad in general), whenever I go here, I order this! The great contrast of the daikon and assorted leaved with the crunchy garnish (not sure what it is), containing pieces of prawn, kingfish, tuna, and salmon then liberally sprinkled with roe, and finished with a soy/sesame dressing...dare I say, best salad in Melbs?!

Tuna carpaccio with light soy dressing with parmagiano reggiano ($14.80)
It might sound kinda weird to have the raw tuna in shoyu and sesame dressing then covered with parmesan cheese with jap mayo on the side but the contrasting flavours were so crisp and clean! And kinda funky!!!

Beef Tatar ($13.50)
While furiously trying to scrounge up a menu on Saturday, I came across a review that claimed this dish is more pretty than tasty and lacked seasoning. Random reviewer, you are wrong. I've had tartare that's been over seasoned or over onioned (*cough rockpool cough*), this was just right with the delicate sesame and quail egg allowing the beef flavour to come through.

Creamy crab dumplings ($13.00)
Like individual serves of crab-filled tortellini. Not too heavy handed with the cream and therefore highly appropriate for those intolerant of lactose (I hope).

Soft-shelled crab with lemon sour cream mayo ($14.80)
Again, another dish with simple crisp flavours. My one complaint (other than not having more of it) is that because the crabs are fried, they didn't pick up the dressing very well. That was easily solved by running the crabs through the dressing. Hehehe.

Horoki Original Pasta with spicy cod roe butter sauce ($15.00)
Now, Rachiepoo actually pulled a bit of a face when I suggested this but she not only ate the dish, she ATE HER WORDS. I didn't detect much spice but the contrast of the creamy butter with the salty roe and a touch of green tea...I chose this as my plate to finish and greedily ran my spoon through the dregs to make sure those fish eggs didn't die in vain.

This photo came after I'd dished it out - this is my poor attempt at a Donna Hay-esque pasta swirl presentation.

This is not really a student food review - it doesn't fit the *cheap* criteria at all other than the $15 lunch deal which is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Although it wasn't that expensive either - all up, I think it came to around $35 per person including drinks and a 300ml bottle of sake. Hehehehe. Regardless of cost, I feel that if your student life in Melbs is transient, you'll be missing out by not eating here. The wonderful flavours and quality of the food mean it is a bargain. So if you can, eat here! And therefore, to end,

Happy birthday, male Vanderpoon. BANZAIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Pooey said...

nums..... me will eat here again soon... nums..

SuBoo said...

Hmmm only been there for lunch... And lunch is good there!

Happy Birthday Clint!!

Rach said...

Two thumbs up. Good blogging Mally!