Thursday, November 18, 2010

Figaro 2010!!!

Last night I went and saw The Marriage of Figaro again. It was pretty much the same production that I saw in 2006 except that the cast had changed - this time Teddy was playing Figaro, while Count Almaviva was played by Peter Coleman-Wright. Tiffany Speight was again Susannah, the Countess by Rachelle Durkin, and Cherubino by Sian Pendry.

Figaro is one of my faves (along with Barber) with a cracking plot and so many high points! We all agreed that Sull'aria was our favourite with Speight and Durkin's voices blending so sweetly.

Here's a 1979 production from Florence, with Helen Donath as Susannah and Margaret Marshall as the Countess.

If I had to criticise, I'd put Teddy back in the Count's role as I think he looks and sounds slightly more the part - he's taller then Coleman-Wright with a slightly deeper tone so singing their bits, it was a bit hard to picture him as the servant when he's towering over and out-basing his master. Otherwise, a highly enjoyable and recommended night!

No comments: