Wednesday, December 08, 2010

In Muenchen jetzt!

Sooo...ich bin in Muenchen jetzt. Sudden, I know. In fact, everything happened so fast that even I'm a little bit surprised at what's happened in that small amount of time!  After 19 hours of flying time plus a 7 hour layover in Singapore airport*, I walked into a Winter Wonderland. It's been one day so far, and I'll confess, as I watched the snowy landscape go by from der Flughafen to the Institut, I kinda started laughing like a maniac. I'm sure my cab driver was wondering what was wrong with me, if he wasn't already confused.

As a side story, I picked my cab driver because he was a white-haired man of about...oh, 60 years, and very benign looking. We got off to a very amusing start when he left a door open as my luggage was loaded into the cab. I automatically climbed in the door and then noticed another cab driver saying something to me (it was 6am and my language skills weren't great). My cab driver then came up to me and said (insert German accent here), "Fraulein, I don't fink zat is going to work."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Him: "Vell, unless you vant to drive..."
Yes, in my jetlagged haze, I got into the drivers seat. Kekeke. My kindly driver then proceeded to scare the shit out of me by doing a quick turn that cut off another driver and then flipped the bird when said drive honked him off. No comment on him driving 120kmh on snowy roads.

Anyway, it pretty much meant I rocked up at the 'Stute by 6:30am and waited for the sun to rise - good thing I'd packed some Continental Cup-o-Soup - Thai Red Curry! - which I enjoyed as the sun came up. When it was up, I was greeted by this sight which I thought was so pretty, I had to open the window and stick my hand out to get the shot.



WOAH!!!! I'll confess. Looking at all the snow all on my lonesome, I did have a *WTF am I doing here?!?!?* moment.

 
I also took this photo because a) the snow pretty much melted (it's slushie now!) and Pooey said the snow picture depressed her. The sun came out today and as I walked to the cafeteria (Mensa) with some lab members, one exclaimed "It's like Spring has arrived!"

Anyway, people eventually arrived and we started getting into the bureaucracy of what I'd done - no backing out now! At least, not without 6 weeks notice.


Since I was less jetlagged today (I think), I decided to break out on my own and purchase the really important things that I needed and didn't pack with me - an umbrella (seriously, it rained a lot yesterday), a hairdryer, and more thermal socks and leggings. I was also tempted to purchase a firmer pillow but resisted. I then took the U-Bahn and buses back to the Guesthouse. This confirmed to me that while the Guesthouse is nice and village is cute, I don't want to live in a village on the outskirts of the city. I'd also like to give a shoutout to the guy who helped me get an appropriate public transport ticket. You are awesome and your research sounds really interesting. I'm sorry I didn't ask "Wie heissen Sie?

Anyway, that should be it for now. I have to get up early to get from my village to central Munich to register as an alien. Muhahahah! Toodles!

*For everyone who wanted to know where I slept and showered, it was the Ambassador Transit Hotel in Terminal 3 - $Sing59 for 3 hours of sleep, a shower, hairdryer, and food! Incidentally, there is a free resting/sleeping lounge on the ground level near the Koi Pond and free internet stalls but I didn't want to leave my hand luggage loose while I was passed out.

2 comments:

Pooey said...

The sunny, melted snow pics is so much naicer!!!

SuBoo said...

Snow was more Christmas-on-the-other-side-of-the-world like though... Mally's far away!