Friday, January 14, 2011

More German Pastries

Oddly enough, I managed to get out of my apartment a little bit earlier than normal today and so I decided to walk the *long way* to the U-bahn, hoping to meet eine Bäckerei (bakery). Now because the long way basically consists of walking in the other direction around the block, I didn't meet one, I went back to the store in the U-bahn stop and did the point and smile method of ordering again.

Today I got this:

Vanilla Pudding-schnecke
(aka, vanilla pudding snail - learning a language through food *thumbs up*) 

Believe it or not, I actually thought it was half the size of what it actually is (like a danish), and was kinda horrified when the woman picked it out of the window and put it in the paper bag. Anyway, I'm slowly making my way through it now and my preliminary thoughts are that I'm really liking the pastry, oddly not enamoured of the vanilla custard! The flavour is nice enough but the baking has given it a kinda plasticy crust as opposed to a soft Asian egg tart layer or a sugary French-style crust. No matter, oh and I'm still working my way through it!

No comments: