Saturday, January 22, 2011

Nordbad

I had decided to change the main focus of my exercise regime to swimming while here because I didn't think I could afford the gym fees. So imagine how thrilled I was to discover a pool one u-bahn stop (or as I prefer to think of it, walking distance) from my apartment. Nordbad advertises itself as a heated indoor pool surrounded by classical architecture. It was a balmy 0C as I trotted on down to check it out.

The website advertised a cheaper late session if you entered after 9:30pm. It's a bit later than when I like to swim but I figured I could go swim 1km and still get home by 11pm.

First impressions, it really is a nice building with all those columns; I probably would have picked it as something like a library. Secodbly, who was the smart ass who decided to put a maccas opposite? Evil genius.

The surprises kept coming inside.The changing area was communal although there were individual changing cubicles. However, its still kinda weird when I sneezed and done random guy in the next cubicle goes "gesundheit!"

At the surprisingly crowded pool given the time and weather, I was a bit perplexed to see a lack of lane ropes. I quickly realised that my usual swimming method wouldn't work if I wanted to not smash into ppl. And so, I quickly swam 1km while trying to dodge ppl cutting across diagonally, those who stopped in the middle of the pool, and that trio of girls who very slowly swam keystroke in a horizontal line up and down the length of the pool.

Would I go back? Maybe, if my doozy of a following adventure lets me!

No comments: