Friday, February 04, 2011

21 by Adele

A few years ago post-Amy Winehouse there was a boom in the British girl with a unique voice thing going on. I wasn't sure if I preferred the cute girl doing the 50s thing (Duffy) or the not as attractive and slightly crankier girl (Adele). I have decided I prefer Adele. Her debut album 19 was written when she was 19 and you got to hear what a great soul voice she has, as featured on this cover of Bob Dylan's To Make You Feel My Love. People who go to that link will see I despaired as to when her next album was arriving. Well I finally have had it playing in my ears for the last two days and it was worth waiting for!

21, naturally written when she was 21, features more of a country/gospel sound and appears to be mostly breakup songs, starting with the angry Rolling in the Deep
Moving onto the power ballad Dont You Remember 
Okay, I'll admit I mostly included this vid for how the piano guy is really into it. LOL

And ending with the resigned 'I'm gonna move on' song, Someone Like You
You can hear the pain being wrenched out!

I think this is a great album showcasing a great voice. Not that I condone this kind of behaviour but it's also especially good for wallowing in, if you need to do that kind of stuff. Listen to it!

No comments: