Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Night at the (Bayerische Staats)oper(a)

During the Xmas break while most of the lab were doing their Xmasy things, a bunch of us loners decided that we would go see the production of Carmen by the Bayerische Staatsoper. When asked if I would like to go, I was all HELLZ YEAH!!! and so standing room tickets (€15) were purchased.

I could talk about the production - great sets, Don Jose (Massimo Giordano) was much better than the last guy I saw playing the role, I got reminded  how Carmen (the character) is a bitch and Don Jose is a spineless loser - but instead I will speak about the opera house! The Nationaltheatre was destroyed in WWII but rebuit using the plans from 1820-something, although it is slightly larger than originally. And what a glorious building!

The portico to the main entrance.

The entrance hall



The interior!

The giant chandelier.

Up in the standing areas, I was able to admire the velvet covered seats and the velvet covered resting bar. I was also able to touch the silky patterned wallpaper behind us! It was a great show and a great building but....standing for 3.5 hours might was a bit of a push, even for me. 

2 comments:

Pooey said...

wtf.. standing room in an opera.. I wouldn't bother.

mallymoodle said...

Yeah but you don't even like opera so you wouldn't go anyway.