Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Back in London!

Following the ye olde fun times in Warwickshire, I made my way down to London for catching up with friends, shopping, and because everyone I know in London is basically there to work, I had some general down time to indulge in my joint pleasures of art and food. 


One these fronts, I caught up with Miss Amandine for some shopping and I was able to eat a chicken pot pie for dinner (mmmmm, I should make these). The next day I started off by going to Sir John Soane's Museum in Lincoln's Inn Fields. 

 Sir John Soane was an architect (best known piece is probably the Bank of England) but during his lifetime he was a collector of art and sculptures which he kept in his house which he used as a private museum. 
The building is undergoing extensive renovations. The collection is quite interesting and the particular highlights are the Egyptian sarcophagus of Seti I in the basement and the Hogarth and Canaletto paintings. 

Following this, I walked over to Chinatown to Rasa Sayang for a bowl of Curry Laksa.
Laska is one of my favourite of noodle soups and I miss it. I actually had it here last time I was in London and it's more on the spicy than coconutty side. It was washed down with another craving, bubble tea.  

After lunch, I took a leisurely stroll to Trafalgar Square and went to one of the few galleries I consider the equal, nay, BETTER than the Louvre, The National Gallery. 
Outside the gallery was a live version of a piece from the collection, Van Gogh's Wheat Field with Cypresses. Supercool! 

And all was good in the world. 

No comments: