Thursday, August 18, 2011

Bilbao - Day 1

Many many moons ago when I made my first trip to Euroland, I planned to go to Spain but never did for reasons I won't explain (but mostly involving money). In the time since then, many people made the trip to the Iberian peninsula only to and tell me to go. As my mental love affair with Spain continued, I promised one day that I would go and that it would be EPIC. Well I have. And it was EPIC!!! 


Hailing from Bilbao in the Basque country, as Patri left Muenchen to return to the sunny shores of Espana, she extracted a promise that we would come visit her. It was no hardship to agree to this, and so this past weekend, I finally managed to fulfil a dream and visit a chum! As we wandered around the city, she filled us in on the (recent) history - Bilbao was previously a city dependent on shipping and the iron industry, resulting in a city that was not...shall we say, planned for aesthetics. The city underwent a crisis in the 80s due to changes in the economy, industry, and terrorism. Since, then the city has implemented a high level of urban renewal, largely fuelled by the opening of the Guggenheim Bilbao in 1997, such as developing parkland and pedestrian areas, and building a tram and underground metro system. Melbourne - ARE YOU READING THIS?!?!

 Anyway, after waking up early, she took us for a stroll around the newly revitalised areas as we headed to the restaurant she had booked for lunch. 


Posing with Juliane, I think that's a Richard Serra sculpture in the background.
Happy smiles along the Nervion River

Prior to our arrival, Patri had asked whether we preferred to have paella or pintxos (tapas) for lunch. Knowing that we were going to San Sebastian the next day, a place famous for its pintxos, and answer was a resounding PAELLA!!! 

So we ended up going to Larruzz Bilbao

Our shared entree - a giant slab of foie gras!!!

The paella! It took 25 minutes to make, was scrummy and yet so different others I've had - as you can see, it wasn't as yellow and not as sweet as the versions I'd had in Aus. Also, they were very liberal with the seafood *thumbs up* 

Good thing it was like the biggest paella pan I'd ever seen because I wanted MOAR!!!

After lunch, we did more strolling around the area.

Hold on, that's a very distinctive building in the background...

Oh! It's the Guggenheim! 

Some architectural features.

The building, designed by Frank Gehry, is also surrounded by a number of sculptures such as - 

Maman (the spider has a giant egg sac) by Louise Bourgeois

I can't remember what this is called but it's by Anish Kapoor

And then of course, you walk up to see...

Puppy by Jeff Koons!

Some of the renewed space near the museum.

After our wanderings, we decided to do some shopping. Therefore, there are not photos. We also went to a party at the Old Harbour (ummm, I think Casco Viejo) and met some of Patri's friends. But we were buggered and had to leave at the relatively early time of 1am to make sure we were ready for our full day in San Sebastian. 

No comments: