Thursday, March 29, 2012

Americanised!!! :O

This is going to sound really weird, but for some bizarre reason, I had the urge to read Looking for Alibrandi. I don't know...maybe I just really wanted some non-Twilight teen angst If I were in Melbs, I could have just taken my own copy off the bookshelf but I'm not so I purchased it for my Kindle. It was pretty much as I remembered while reading it - oh! The dilemmas of struggling with final exams and future directions, first loves, trying to reconcile yourself with your surroundings when you attend a rich private school but you yourself come from a poor and migrant background....gosh, story of my life! :P But there was something niggling at me that something was not quite right. 


And towards the end, I finally figured it out. At one point, Josie mentions going shopping with Lee and looking at Gap and Abercrombie. This book was published in Australia and set in Sydney in the early 1990s....THERE WAS NO GAP OR ABERCROMBIE IN AUSTRALIA AT THAT TIME!!! And Ivy graduates valedictorian of the class - err, no. It's been a while since I read my book form but I'm pretty sure the title used in Australia is Dux. Thankfully Josie mostly refers to her Mum as *Mama*, *my mother*, or *Christina*. I don't think I could have handled it if it was changed to *Mom*. 

No comments: