Monday, March 05, 2012

Starkbierfest 2012 - Take 1

Strange, I didn't write last year about Starkbierzeit (Strong beer time) and the ensuing Starkbierfest (Strong beer festival). This was probably because I was really, really drunk and then hungover. Stephan, a real Muenchner, told me this story - Starkbier derives from the Middle Ages. The monks of Munich wondered whether beer counted as food and if they therefore had to give it up for Lent. To solve this question, they sent some barrels to Rome for the Pope to test. This being the olden times, when the Pope tasted the beer, it had spoiled and he went "Blech! Something this foul cannot be food!" And the monks rejoiced by breweing EVEN STRONGER  beer for that time of year! Hence, Lent = Strong beer time. And so, I dirndl'd up and joined Ruben and his colleagues at the Augustiner Keller to partake of the Augustinerstarkbier, Maximator. Phew, that name even sounds strong!


Ummm...I don't actually remember much of that night and the photos even show how chaotic it was...
Ruben with his booking

My first Maximator!

Mmmm, I really needed that halbhendl mit kartoffelsalat to go with the beer

Proof that I can hold 3 biers (well, 2.5) in one hand!

This photo is probably as blurry as my vision was....


Things I do remember that aren't chronicled with photos include sitting in a giant beer barrel and talking with some strangers in German (who complimented me - mit Bier kann ich Deutsch sprechen!), various bits of dancing, and a conga line through the basement. Things I don't remember include how I managed to get cuts on my hands. But what matters is that I got home safely to write this entry!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what the...that beer is MASSIVE

mallymoodle said...

It's 1L - the only size available!

Incidentally, it's the same size as you get at Oktoberfest :P