Monday, September 03, 2012

My new obsession

DOWNTON ABBEY!!!

People have been saying for a while that I would love this series but in Germany it aired on cable (which I don't have), and it probably would have been dubbed into German (which I don't understand perfectly). Having said that, my boss said she had the DVDs and I could borrow them off her and watch it if I wanted (I don't have a DVD player at home).

Pooey gave me the files when she came and visited in June but I was instead watching Offspring, Glee, and Game of Thrones, among others. But even then, Pooey was telling me I HAD TO WATCH IT. And that I would appreciate a pair of fine (piercing) eyes in the series. Well now! But I was also told it was engrossing and given that my evenings in Munich are also taken up with cooking, gym, and social activities, I decided that the best thing I could do was watch the series while I was isolated in Bremen.

HEILIGE SCHIESSE, THIS SERIES IS AWESOME!!! 

My god, it is perfect for me! Taking place from 1912 to 1914, it's a world of almost perfect civility, white-tie formality (the people upstairs), the people who make it possible (the servants), intermixed with family drama and class interaction! And there is a mighty fine pair of piercing eyes. Damn schexy ones, with great dollops of sexual tension.
In tuxedoes! Dammit, you two need to get together!

But upon completion of the first season, I discovered that Pooey didn't give me all of S2! I had to hold off watching until it was complete so I wouldn't have to be kept in suspense! Instead I decided to re-watch my favourite moments (such as when Lady Mary and Cousin Matthew flirt), but especially the tour de force awesomeness that is Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess of Grantham. 
As seen in this video!
But I've started S2 now, and it's set during WWI so this time around we get some uniform action.

And I love a man in uniform. Although I think that's a lieutenant uniform, not a brigadier.

2 comments:

Pooey said...

Dowager FTW!

Lynnie said...

It is really good! I was skeptical when people were telling me to watch it as it looked kinda boring and the plot slow. the plot is slow but the characters are very engaging and you just want Mary and Matthew to get the fuck together!! so frustrating. haha Maggie Smith is awesome too.