Friday, October 18, 2013

Grainau day 1

So yeah, a few days after arriving back from North Rhine-Westphalia, I was packing my bags again to head off to Grainau, right in the south of Bavaria at the foot of the Wetterstein Alps, for a work retreat. As you know, I'm a notorious outdoors-hater and with our hotel set at the base of Waxenstein, everyone was joking that I'd be forced to climb the mountain. But you know what?

Damn me if it wasn't totally beautiful!

Like, really! All that snow I complained about last week was doing it's thang.

And the mountain range was just sitting there going "Hell yeah!"

Also, this was the view from my room. Yep.

Walking into our hotel, I noticed that the hotel...is listed in the Michelin guide?!?! Were we going to be receiving awesome food? Yes we did!
Creamy mushroon soup made from locally picked mushrooms. I wished that bowl was larger.

Grilled salmon with crispy potato crust. Very nice.

Following lunch, we were supposed to get to work in various workshop groups but...we decided instead to hike around the forest!
And admire the mountain again.

Argh! It's almost too much!!!

 
When I asked Markus what the piles of stones meant, he said it was probably something city people did to confuse other city people.

If you look carefully, the side parts of the seat on the porch of this hut are shaped like people!

Autumn colours being pretty.

You don't really want to know about what work things we talked about (I got some good feedback though); you really want to know what we ate for dinner!
The green stuff = herbed butter. The grey stuff = SCHMALZ!!!

Appetiser = beetroot soup.

Entree of speck-wrapped plums with celery, citrus, and pear salad and roasted almonds.

Main of angus beef fillet (medium rare) with root vegetables and red wine jus. Yes.

Dessert of banana in caramel sauce with sorbet. To be honest, I was disappointed in this. Reading the description, I thought the banana was going to be caramelised :(

We then reconvened to the hotel bar and drank schnapps and port wine, hijacking the sound system to play music from our phones (seriously, bad hotel bar music), while the staff wondered how it was possible for scientists to be raucous drunks and waited for us to go to bed so they could go home :D

No comments: