Monday, October 07, 2013

Soup

I picked up a really nice memento from Wiesn - a cold. As far as colds go, it was a pretty mild one. Just sneezing, snotty nose, and a sore throat - no loss of voice, coloured mucus, headaches or fevers. However, being an opportunist, I decided that it was the perfect time to make soup! And not just any old chicken soup (although I made that too), I decided to make this soup which is practically perfect for colds.
What makes it so perfect? It has ingredients that have been shown to possess medicinal properties. Firstly, it's a chicken soup- chicken soup has been shown to inhibit migration of a class of white blood cells.
I made the soup using chicken legs and lemon juice - vitamin C and zinc are good for the common cold. (Although that paper comes from Bayer - grain of salt, people!)
Another major ingredient is chilli - capsaicin is antibacterial, just in case something does start taking over the mucus.
I threw in carrots - beta-carotene is (among many other things) an antioxidant.
But if all the others fail, just drinking hot liquids clears the upper respiratory tract.

No comments: