Sunday, May 29, 2005

cute

Today (Saturday), I was at my local library when a little girl fooled me big time. She was about 12-18 months old. That is, old enough to walk about unassisted, but not old enough to talk or have don't approach strangers drilled into her. It was a cold day so I wore my Big Red Coat and a fluffy white scarf. I probably looked like a cuddly bear. She was small and blonde and wearing a pink coat and kind of running around the library while her grandmother (I assume) every now and then led her away when she got too close to the door or other library patrons.

On our first run-in, I was holding some books when she walked up to me and put her arms up in a kind of *pick me up* gesture. Not normally getting this kind of reaction from caucasian babies I stood there a bit surprised while her grandmother apologised and took her away. Later, I was using a catalogue when she came up again and did the same thing. Her grandmother again came and apologised, so I assured her the girl wasn't bothering me (she really wasn't), so the grandmother left her there. The girl stood there for a while with her arms in the air, so I got onto the floor and reached my arms out to her armpit level to pick her up when SHE RAN AWAY!!! A bit surprised, I got back on the catalogue and picked up my books when she ran up and put her arms up again. I got down to pick her up again when she ran away AGAIN!!!

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. And that baby fooled me twice!!!

No comments: