Sunday, May 01, 2005

Sunday 1st of May

There's a lot to write about today, i might even make a double post!

Last night I had a really weird dream, so if there's anyone out there who wants to analyse it, feel free!

Anyway, it was set in yr 12. I know this cos I was wearing full uniform and it was some kind of graduation programme. I had to remove my shoes and put them in a locker labelled with my name and had my old school padlock. The graduation ceremony took place in this large kind of cathedral place (maybe cos i went to an anglican school), and took place over 3 days. On the first day we were supposed to have meals with our parents present and each day, people in the year level were supposed to give presentations - recite passages. On the third day, I suddenly found out that I was supposed to be reading a passage from some text by reading the programme of the ceremony. However, the programme listed me and another girl, Debbie Chan, as the last group.

When the ceremony was about to start, it turned out that we were supposed to go FIRST, so having not practiced and only a few minutes notice, I had to quickly run after Debbie down the central aisle of the cathedral. I had to pass by the younger year levels and they all watched me run around them. When I got to the end and caught up with the other girl, it turned out we both didnt know what we were supposed to be reading, but the school chaplain gave us a giant book and told us the location of the passage. Debbie got the passage and started reading - it turned out to be something where were were interchanging lines. Slowly the crowd began to get louder cos it turned out we were reading the wrong passage. The chaplain came back and showed the other girl the right page and told me the number again, but I still couldnt find the right page because a lot fo the pages had the same number. So when it was my time to read, I'd peek at Debbie's book. When I found the right page, it turned out the passage in my book was written in Latin, so I had to translate in my head, but recite it English.

After a while, I became aware that I could only read a few words, so I was making it up as I went along and people became aware that I was reading it wrong. The chaplain was very angry and then my honours supervisor (!) came up and said something to the effect that I could do better than that, to which i protested that it was in Latin. She pointed out that it was in French, and sure enough, the passage was in French! I then said I couldnt speak French either (this was true in high school). The chaplain then told me and the other girl that we could go and so we both got up and started walking back to where we were at the beginning of the dream. But then (I think this was part of the ceremony) the cathedral started being flooded and all the girls had to get up and run out of the place. I was about to go running too, but when the water reached my ankles, i realised my shoes were still in their locker. So even though Debbie was yelling at me to come, I went to the locker to get my shoes out. Then I noticed that all the other girls in my year level had labels on their lockers saying where they were going and what they were going to do, but my locker didnt have a label. And when I was putting the combination into my lock, it wouldn't open.

Then I woke up.

No comments: