Thursday, December 01, 2005

Shakira - Don't Bother

Hmmm, I haven't written anything about music in a while.

When Shakira first came onto the english-speaking scene a few years ago, I couldn't stand the weird kinda yodel-singing she does. That and the fact her songs were just EVERYWHERE and I frankly got sick of hearing Whenever, Wherever. But you know, now that the hype has died down, I find her music not bad.

Don't Bother is the lead single (in this country anyway) off her Oral Fixation Volume 2 album. (
Fijación Oral Volume 1 is in spanish, obviously.) The verses are sung in a kinda low pitched-staccato before launching into the high-powered chorus with a great yell of *HEY HEEEEEY!!!!* While the yodel-singing is still there but toned down, so too are her wonderfully wacky lyrics which are as wacky as ever. My favourite part of the song would be the spoken verse where Shakira whispers these lines:

For you, I'd give up all I own
And move to a Communist country
If you came with me, of course.
And I'd file my nails so they don't hurt you
And I'd lose those pounds
And learn about football
If it made you stay, but you won't, but you won't


The line about learning football is my absolute favourite. Now there's a girl who really loves her guy!

No comments: