Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Slow Hand of Bowling

This is what my bowling *technique* is now named. It works on a similar principle as driving - at a fast velocity, minor adjustments produce a greater result than when you do them at a slower velocity. Likewise, it is easier to do fine manoeuvering when you're going slow.

When I first started bowling, I did try to bowl with great force, only to find my ball hitting the pin on the very right edge of the lane or just falling into the gutter. Somewhere along the line, someone (I think it was either Justin or Roy) pointed out to me that due to my left-handed-ness and the way I dropped it, the ball tended to spin in a particular way that resulted in it gravitating to the right side and suggested that I practise on either cultivating the spin from the extreme left or bowling slowly to delete it. I chose the latter.

And so while it may look as though the ball is going to stop half-way down the lane and it takes a minute to actually reach the end...I do bowl with higher accuracy. The problem now is that the ball doesnt hit the pins with enough force to knock all the others down. But this technique still beats Moans and I guess thats good enough :-P (90-something to 80-something. The Ly sisters are still up!)

Also, good luck to Kat(i)e for NYC - Fridays won't be the same :-P

2 comments:

eM said...

I went bowling on Sunday night, and my score was shameful.

Why don't you compensate for the spin by standing further to the left of the lane? You know how it cool it'd look - a ball that curves? d=

mallymoodle said...

ah, but the spin was unreliable. sometimes it would curve...othertimes it would go straight and it looks REALLY stupid if you ball starts off at one side of the lane only to run off the other :P