Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Back on the race track!

After spending the last three months killing my brain cells with benders, I started my PhD candidature today.

Oh
My
God

It's not as bad as Su Ling made it out to be - she said it was a terrifying case of being asked questions and expected to know the answers. I don't have that here because it's common knowledge that while I'm coming here with histological and neuroscience knowledge, I'm not coming with the specific technical or retina knowledge. But still! I've been handed a few journal articles to read as a starting off point, the first article was alright as it was looking at diabetic retinopathy in an epidemiological and treatment perspective, most of which don't apply to me as I won't be treating it. But the next few papers were on the physiology of the retina.

WHAT?!

I've read the articles but it's in my eyes and out my ears, bypassing all the functional cognitive areas. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may have to go to the drastic step of physically typing out the articles so I can recall what its about because I sure don't remember much, most of which is jargon I'm going to have to come to grips with. *gulp* No matter. I CAN DO IT!!!

No comments: